Plastic bags can now be used to line food waste bins in South Oxfordshire

shopping bags food bin oxfordshire council

shopping bags food bin oxfordshire council

Residents in Southern Oxfordshire can now use plastic bags to line their food waste bins and caddies, announced South Oxfordshire District Council on its website.

Food waste is collected every week and taken to Agrivert’s anaerobic digestion plant near Wallingford to be recycled into gas for electricity and fertiliser for local farmland.

The processing plant is now able to accept thin plastic bags, such as carrier bags, bread bags, paper wrappings, or normal pedal bin liners. Residents can also continue to use compostable bags or newspapers to line their caddies and bins, or put food straight in without any liner.

Any bags used as liners will be removed at the processing plant and sent to an Energy Recovery Facility to be turned into energy.

Cllr Charlotte Dickson, Cabinet Member for Waste at Vale of White Horse District Council, said: “We want to make recycling as easy as possible for our residents, so we very much welcome the extra option of using plastic bags as caddy liners.

“We are one of the top recyclers in the country, but we still throw away a significant amount of food waste, with a recent review showing that around 30 per cent of the waste put out in the grey rubbish bins was food waste that could have been recycled. We would like to encourage everyone to use their food waste bins and thank everyone that already does – it makes a real difference.”

All cooked and uncooked food can be put into food waste bins. Residents are advised that plastic retail packaging, or anything other than food waste, should not be put in. For example, bacon should be removed from its plastic packet and fruit taken out of punnets.

For further information about food waste recycling and other household waste and recycling collections, see  SODC’s pages on recycling, rubbish and waste or call 03000 610610.

Assisted waste collections
If you or someone you know has difficulties putting your rubbish and recycling out, due to illness or infirmity, you may qualify for an assisted collection. To find out more, call 0300 610610 or email the council’s waste team.


Skip to content